Thursday, March 5, 2009

You've come a long way, baby.

Alright, so, I have been doing some internet reading on this website: http://www.truewoman.com/. I am not one to judge or to criticize anyone's beliefs, but I am a bit baffled as to how any woman would be able to agree with this website and what it says about a woman's "godly duty". The whole movement is centered around the belief that woman was made to serve man. Um... what? I'm sorry, but I think it's a little degrading to say that the whole point of being a woman is so that you can find a husband, get pregnant, and spend the rest of your life doting on him and your kids. The website even goes so far as to say it's selfish for a woman to remain single or to pursue a career. That's insane! How is it selfish to decide that marriage and/or children is not the right path for you? I do not understand how any self-respecting woman can acquiesce to this way of thinking. We're not inferior, and we certainly shouldn't be expected to get married and serve our husband "as Christ serves the Lord". I understand that some women would prefer a life as a stay-at-home mom/housewife, and that's fine, but it's important to recognize that there is a choice involved. Marriage isn't necessary. Kids are not necessary. It's not selfish to decide to lead a life as a single woman or as a mother with a career. We are not the inferior sex, ladies. There is no such thing, man and woman are equal. What the hell was feminism for if not to perpetuate that belief? But, oh, actually, the "True Woman" movement thinks the feminist movement was a big step backwards because it brought women out of the home to pursue a life as something other than just a wife and a mother, which is apparently all we should aspire to be. How can anyone believe that? I'm sorry, but if I ever decide to get married, it's going to be an equal partnership. My husband is NOT the head of the household because he's the man, no one is going to be the leader. Isn't that what marriage is about? Ugh... I'm sorry, I know it's their prerogative to live a life of "liberation through submission", but it seems to me it's not a choice that they are making, but rather one that's being made for them. I think it's really sad...

No comments: